Back to Table of Contents
How to import a single private key
You can import a single private key into MultiBit that you have produced externally, perhaps by vanitygen or www.bitaddress.org.
The easiest way to get the format exactly right is:
- Create a new wallet saved to a file, say, example.wallet.
- Export the private keys, WITHOUT A PASSWORD, to a file example.key.
- Open up the key file in a text editor. There is a big comment at the top that describes the format. It is simply lines, each line containing the sipa format key - beginning with 5 - and the key creation date in a particular format. You will have an example in there to copy as a new wallet has one key in it.
- Add in your new key and a date a bit before when you created it.
- Import the key file back into the wallet.
- MultiBit will then replay the blocks to get the transactions and work out the balance.
TIDY UP: It is good idea to then secure delete the key file so it is not lying around. If you want a quick key backup you can do another key export but add a password so that the key export file is encrypted.